Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Aspire

I consider myself an aspiring nerd. As a young lad I was “hip” with such things as a computer. I could easily maneuver around the interface. Then I slowly just stepped away from it. I was still the “techy” person in my realm of friends, but I was no expect. I just knew how to do some troubleshooting. However, these days I am on the verge of becoming a nerd.

I heard through rumor that our school’s tech liaison was leaving our school for next year. So as a vulture (it’s a typical way things occur here), I hopped on the chance to put my name in as the new Tech Person. Seldom is there competition, but I just hope that I get it.

To further this advancement, I am now the head person for two projects. The first, I got funding to purchase 15 iPod touches. I will be implementing them into the 4th grade. I got the funding through special education funds to eliminate the special education gap and provide all students the “same” level. What’s really fun about it, it I can have one gen ed student using a word processor program, while the special ed student is using a word predictor word processor, and the gen ed student would be none the wiser. It makes me giggle inside. What really cool about it, is I am getting equipment that holds 20 iPod touches and can sync them at the same time. It also can charge them too. Students will be assigned their own iPod. It will be engraved with the school’s information. However, it will be registered as their personal name. They will also have their own colour case, to add individuality. Eventually we will work with the students to have the chance to take them home to work on assignments. It will be great. These devices will travel along with the class (at least that is my thought thus far).

To my amusement, the day after I received the financial support for the iPod touches, I received confirmation that I received grant funding of $7,188. With that I will be purchasing 12 iPads. My site will have 4 of them, as well as 4 for Savoonga and 4 for Saint Michael. It is kind of crap that the teachers are able to benefit from my work. But its part of the learning experience. I am the one who asked if these teachers wanted to implement them. I think they are some of the best picks. These devices will be used like the iPod touches, but have a large screen. I’m eager to see the applications that come out when they do as well. I also hope that they make it easier to print out documents and such. The funny thing is, when they were first announced I was really upset that it wasn’t anything to replace my personal computer. However, after more time to think, I think and hope that it will revolutionize the education phase. At half the price of a laptop, we can get many more for the students. They will never replace the need for laptops, but since the majority of teachers only use the computer for typing and internet searching, its perfect.


I can't consider myself a full on nerd, as a complete nerd really enjoys open sourced applications (and the use of Linux). I never have a desire to do that, because I look for simple user interface. Where a teacher doesn't need training. When our district tried to go to the netbooks on Linux, thats where the downfall is.



I'm in very good spirits brothers and sisters.

3 comments:

Ms. Adams said...

1) Color me jealous. Like, way, way jealous.
2) I love the idea of the kids being assigned their own iPod with different colors and all!
3) Um...the fact that you can talk about Linux and interfaces with confidence makes you way more nerdy than you think you are.

<3kma

Unknown said...

I'm sure with just minor prodding, I'll have you be using Linux and ll those "new fangled" open-source projects before you know it.

So get used to calling yourself a full-fledged nerd. Just a head's up.

Shawn Bernard said...

Ms. Adams-
1) I see you doing things like this in the never future- no doubt. Or teacher were I teach, and I'll get you high class things.
2) I am excited to see what colours the students choose. I only have 3 of each colour, so we'll have to pick numbers to see who gets what case.
3) I refrained from using the term "GUI" (Graphic User Interface). This would have really not helped my fight in saying I'm not a nerd.

ZakAttack!- I tried to putz around with such activities on Linux. First off, even though I think I can figure things out, I feel that the average teacher is not able to figure these things out. We go for simple implementation. Also, you must be geographically close to help me dabble in such activities, which I don't foresee. I'm okay to call myself a nerd, I just feel that other nerds will feel that I'm not up to their par. :)