Yesterday I met my intensive needs student. He is already on a modified schedule to only come for 4 days in the afternoon. When he came into school he ended up lasting for 10 minutes before he got so mad and just left school. I have to say its nice because I'm able to catch up with other stuff as opposed to work with him. However, I still am responsible for him. I also had to get some paperwork signed from his guardian. I've had contact with her and she seems pretty receptive to me. What I find most difficult is I'm not familiar with the agencies and exactly what she needs to sign. I'm more or a less a robot. Since I needed this paper signed, I thought I would need to do a home visit.
Of course everything is in walking distance so I put on my backpack with everything, printed out a GoogleEarth aerial view of the south portion of the village, and had the library aid circle the house I needed to trek to. Since I was on a mission I didn't hear the mom call my name when she was behind me until I was verifying it was her house. I saw her and we started chatting. I told her that I had some things to discuss with her (and some papers to sign) and I had some work for the student to do. I followed her into her house after asking permission. The corridor was open. When she walked into the house ALL I was the student with a shotgun with the butt of it on the floor. My life flashed before my eyes. I realized quickly that it was not for any harm. Although this was during school and he walked out he decided that he wanted to go hunting.
I challenged him to take 13 pictures on a digital camera I had (it was a crappy one that I was okay loosing). And took care of getting the papers signed and went on my way. Moral of the story- guns aren't only used for getting back at teachers in Stebbins. Its a common thing to see teens walk with these.
As for today, I never got my camera nor did I see the student. However, one project that students have to do for school is do a community service activity. My roommate team taught to get this program going. The previous day we decided what two acts we were going to do. Sue's group was blueberry picking for the elders. My group was to fetch water for the elders. Thats were it was fun for me. Where else can you go on a fieldtrip where the teacher drives a Honda (4-wheeler) and have students ride along on the trailer behind. In the photo I've posted, I would have been on the Honda driving the nuggets. We had a great time. I think that the students had a great time, enjoyed the activity and learned a bit. That was the overall goal. However, when I was paying for the water the students were a little rambunctious. The principal walked by and reamed them a new one. I took offense to it and as a statement of my teaching ability, but after a self imposed meeting with him, I was put at ease. He never implied anything about me because I had to step away to take care of paying. I'm glad because I thought it would be strike two.
I have much on my plate to do but I'm sure that I'll handle it. I need to get my butt in gear.
I'm in good spirits brothers and sisters.
2 comments:
What exactly are they doing in the second picture?
I love you!
-kma
They are getting water. Since the village doesn't have running water they have to take their buckets to this contraption. One kid is pushing a button and the other students are directing the hose. It was an interesting activity.
Post a Comment