Saturday, January 16, 2010

Holiday Break

When I arrived in Anchorage, I had a greeting party. I have to say that it was really awesome to have someone greet me like that. They took me to their place for a bit and then dropped me back off until my Anchorage to Minneapolis flight.
Checking in wasn’t much of a problem, just a little tedious. For the holidays I was given homemade jelly/jams and salmon. I thought I would be able to bring them as a carry on, but that did not hold true. I was able to carry on the salmon in water, but not the jelly. So I had to check a bag in. No big deal.

This one seemed to be very long as I ad a young child behind me screaming/ crying (due to being over tired). If he wasn’t doing that then he was kicking the back of the seat. I was not a happy camper. Although I have invested in Active Noise Canceling Headphones, they are not capable of drowning out that pitch and noise that close. It made for a cranky time- but I was able to manage. I utilize the Amazon Kindle with the book of Eat, Love, Pray. To my astonishment, I read through 37% of the book! I was rather impressed as I am one of the world’s slowest readers.

I got off the airplane and commuted to the next transfer. It was nice as there wasn’t too long of a layover there. I sat down for a moment and then it was time to board the other plane. While waiting there was a young lady who decided to strike up conversation with me. She was from India and very inquisitive about me. I didn’t want to divulge too much information as I was a bit testy (red eye flight with the inability to take a nap). She was curious about teaching in Alaska. The flight was also another rough one in terms of a child sitting two rows behind me. This one was giggling so much. Another pitch that is virtually as annoying as the crying and not canceled out by the headphones.

I was greeted with my daddio at the baggage claim. I saw him and then I went to see mom. To my surprise she held the tears back. When we got home we had brunch with the whole family and my sister’s friends left over from a party the night before. It was great bonding but a bit active for me not having any sleep (maybe I was better off then the others as I didn’t have a hangover). I took a nap later on, met Rachel for a drink, and had friends over for a small little gathering just to say hello and give people a chance to see me. It was good to see folks, but a wide array of friends that didn’t necessarily know each other.


Now for the disadvantage of waiting so long to wait to write- here is a brief time of what I did while home.
The remainder of my time in the Detroit Area included a lot of things:
Monday: Lunch with Brian, Shopping/ Playing with Jackie, Euchre Tournament.
Tuesday: Drove to Grand Rapids with Becky (New York), Beth Ann (Nicuragua), and Ty (Texas), then dinner with my grand parents.
Wednesday: Dentist, Bombay Grill
Thursday: Finishing Christmas Shopping, Christmas Eve Party at Jaclyns
Friday: Christmas Rituals
Saturday: Early Morning Shopping- 4:45 (not so productive) Jackie's apartment
Sunday:
Monday:
Tuesday: Becky's and Ann Arbor
Wednesday: Shopping and Casa Fiesta
Thursday Head back to Anchorage.


The flight back to Anchorage was alright. I flew from DTW to Phoenix and then to ANC. Weird, but not a bad time.

I made it to Anchorage where Ryan and M picked me up. I was going to be their little child while there.

No comments: